Historic Seymour Arm.......
Explorers, fur traders and railway surveyors passed by Shuswap Lake
through the 19th century. In 1865 fortune seekers rushed to the
Shuswap on their way to the Big Bend of the Columbia River in a gold
rush that was to last but a couple of years. Paddle wheelers and odd
assortment of vessels ferried miners from Savona at the west end of
Kamloops Lake to the head of Seymour Arm where they set off overland
to the goldfields. At the head of Seymour Arm, Seymour City (Ogdensville)
was built with six saloons, 13 stores, five bakeries and one
bathhouse, serving the gold seekers for two years before the town was
deserted. On cliff faces around the lake, there are photographs of
rock paintings whose meanings lie buried with their native artists.
These artworks of ochre are over 100 years old, symbols of our
heritage that should never be damaged or removed.